I stayed with a an amazing host family while I was in Kaunas, Lithuania and Nijole was a fantastic cook. One of her favorite things was the little garden plot the family owned a little outside of the city. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it, but it sounded lovely.
While we were there, Nijole served us all manner of apple products that she had made from the apples in her garden. In fact, she had at least three apple trees, planted and named after her three children. The apples that we were enjoying came from her first daughter, Victoria’s tree. They were delicious as cider, cake, jam, cheese, baked, and especially in this apple cake. Delicious!
Nijole’s (Lithuanian) Apple Cake and Recipe
Nijole served this cake to us during breakfast, and it sure was good with a cup of coffee. I’ve decided to try and replicate her apple cake here.
This quick and easy apple cake is the perfect fall dessert or coffee cake.
- 6 apples, peeled
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- cinnamon sugar, optional
- powdered sugar, optional
- Grease 9X9 inch square pan, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples and lay in pan.
- Mix together eggs and sugar, then slowly add flour to mix.
- Beat on high until loose peaks form. It should be very creamy.
- Pour mixture over apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar on top, optional.
Apple Cake Photo Directions
This is Nijole and me. We aren’t going to eat the cake here, instead we’re waiting on the number one Lithuanian Snack Food, Fried Bread! We had such a great time! I can’t wait to see her again!
Pin this Lithuanian Apple Cake Recipe for later!