Outlands and Odysseys – Skellig Michael
What is a place that is a setting for a very popular science fiction movie, is a UNESCO world heritage site, and has puffins? I know what you are thinking. You’re saying to yourself, “No way, there is no place that is that cool, that awesome!” Well, dear…you would be wrong! We just came back from a place this amazing; Skellig Michael off the southwestern coast of Ireland. If you haven’t heard of it before, it will now be on your bucket list, guaranteed.
Okay, let’s break it down. First, check this out, and you will see that the production of “The Force Awakens” did indeed use Skellig Island as a pivotal scene. We did not really know this until we started researching our trip. We were going anyway, but there was one American family that made the trip just because they were fans. Dad had even brought his Luke Skywalker costume for Mom to take photos of him. Humorous, maybe, but you’ve got to give them props for following their dreams.
Second, UNESCO. Inscribed due to the remoteness and harshness of life on such an island, Skellig Michael is famous for its 7th century monastery that was built clinging to its side. To reach the site, you must walk up over 600 slippery slate stairs. I can’t imagine dragging my groceries up that high. We did make the climb, and it was every bit as scary and exhilarating as I could have expected it to be.
Lastly, a surprise for us. We knew that both of the Skellig islands were home to plenty of birds, including puffins. What we didn’t know is how close we would actually get to see the puffins in their natural habitat. According to one of the three guides on the island that day, the puffins on the stairs’ side of the island are used to seeing humans, but they aren’t on the other side. What that meant for us was the opportunity for some great bird watching and a few fantastic photos.
For now, please enjoy the video we put together for our Skellig Michael tour, but stay tuned for a longer, more detailed post and Skelling Michael guide and travel tips.
Have you been to Skelling Michael? What was the reason you went?
Please include this badge on your post. You can do this two different ways:
1. Copy and paste the image above, then link it to www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/
2. Copy the code below and paste it onto your post in “text” mode. This will put the picture and the link for you automatically.
<a href=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wkendtravelinspirationBadge.jpg” alt=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wkendtravelinspirationBadge.jpg” /></a>
Ready, set, link!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
Pin Skellig Michael for later!