This may be one of the best reasons for traveling. When you don’t know the language, you can bumble along, and be completely unaware. I’m sure I’ve done many things wrong, or at least differently from the local population, sussing me out as an impostor.
The wonderful thing is, instead of being the hindrance that you might think it is, not knowing the language usually helps me meet people as I try to stumble my way through mundane tasks such as buying bus tickets from a machine. Although, often brief, these interactions are some of the most memorable.
To be quite honest, I love sitting in a cafe, watching the world go by, and not being able to understand what they are saying at the next table. When I am in an English-speaking environment, I feel a little overwhelmed because I tend to listen so hard.
Have any of these things ever happened to you?
Now it’s time for you to inspire us with your latest!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
Don’t forget to follow my favorite conspirators, and awesome travel bloggers, as well!