Are you drawn to the unknown?
While it’s true we aren’t really people to get on a cruise, there is something about climbing aboard a ship, leaving the comforts and daily routines of home, putting land behind you and crossing oceans to explore destinations unknown. Don’t get me wrong, we love all kinds of travel including going back to places we’ve fallen in love with. There are definitely plenty of spots on earth that draw us back over and over again with a magnetic pull. But the idea of heading off across the sea to a completely new port has the strongest appeal for me. And we’re constantly open to new opportunities whenever they arrive.
One year we drove up to the Baltic coast of Germany in the middle of winter to see if we could climb aboard a ferry at the last minute and just go somewhere new. We ended up in Gotheburg, somewhere I’d never even really heard of before. One year, after a long and eventful travel-packed summer, we returned home with more than a week of free time before we had to go back to work. We had thought of spending a relaxing seven days just enjoying being home and doing nothing. By day two I had the maps out and was looking for somewhere new. I love looking at maps and tracing those faint, dotted blue lines that stretch out across the water from one point of land to another. By day three we were on the ship to Corsica with no idea what awaited us, other than adventure.
Then one time, we took the ferry across the short stretch of water between Hirtshals, Denmark, and Kristiansand, Norway, to visit friends. How could we turn this into a journey of discovery? Well, while waiting for the ferry departure we wandered into a gas station to get a cup of coffee and found a small tourist information kiosk. On the table was a glossy magazine titled “Iceland!” What? A ferry to Iceland? This one took some planning, but the next summer we found ourselves aboard a ship on a three day crossing to stunning Iceland, with a bonus trip to the Faroe Islands! Once there, we spent a perfect week exploring, dreaming, and discovering. We loved it.
What about you? Do feel the pull of the sea? Give in to it! Climb aboard a ship, throw off the lines, and steam off to new lands and new dreams!
Ready, set, link!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
Please include this badge on your post. You can do this two different ways:
1. Copy and paste the image above, then link it to www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/
2. Copy the code below and paste it onto your post in “text” mode. This will put the picture and the link for you automatically.
<a href=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wkendtravelinspirationBadge.jpg” alt=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wkendtravelinspirationBadge.jpg” /></a>