And if we did get lost for a little while, well, that’s okay too! Some of my favorite moments have happened when I’ve taken the small road, missed a turn, got totally confused in a labyrinthian souk. Having to ask for directions has made me smile many a time as I talk to just anyone on the street.
To be honest, we love to plan our next trip, but our idea of planning compared to other’s planning is probably very different. Sometimes it means deciding where we’re going to fly to on a three-day weekend, and then book it, book a hotel and go. Nothing else is planned.
Sometimes it means taking a road trip, with specific stops on the way but making sure to take as many unplanned detours as we can.
Have a quick read on some of the more “unplanned” times I’ve traveled:
We have a few days in January a couple years ago, and just headed north on a whim to take the Stena Line to Gothenburg.
We also were in Chile for a few weeks, walked past a travel agent office and saw a “sale” sign for Easter Island. We took off the next day and stayed on the island for four days.
One fine May day, we got in the jeep and headed to Poland. No specific destination, just Poland. We ended up in the cutest city of Wrocław.
Then on a road trip through eastern Turkey, a few kilometers from the Iran border we jumped out of the jeep and helped some village ladies milk their sheep.
We love doing things like this. It keeps travel a mystery!
What spontaneous or unplanned travel have you done?
It’s Your Turn!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
Please include this badge on your post. You can do this two different ways:
1. Copy and paste the image above, then link it to www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/
2. Copy the code below and paste it onto your post in “text” mode. This will put the picture and the link for you automatically.
<a href=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/weekend-travel-inspiration/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://www.reflectionsenroute.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NewWkend3sm.jpg” alt=”” /></a>