Whenever I start feeling stuck in one place, or start getting a case of wanderlust I just look at a map and think of this quote. It’s amazing to me, really. The idea that you can get anywhere on Earth simply by walking out your door and down the path. Luckily, we live in a time when the whole world really is opened up to us (of course, there may be places that aren’t good choices right now); we’re not bound by the limits of our feet and legs or a stout and sturdy horse. We can walk out that door and into our car, board a ship, or hop a flight and go as far as our time and money will allow. But for some people it’s that first step that stops them.
In the line just before this quote, Bilbo tells Frodo, “It’s a dangerous thing, going out your door.” The world is a big place with so much to see and do that often times we are stymied by the sheer number of choices and decisions offered us. It can be hard and a little frightening to take that first step into the unknown. There are dangers out there, to be sure. However, the dangerous business Bilbo is describing is not from the monsters and other evils lurking around the bend; rather, it’s that travel addiction that binds you once you get a taste of it–that wanderlust that keeps you yearning for more. Just another mile or two there must be something new to experience and expand your horizons if you just let go and get swept down the road.
So grab your map, plot a course for the unknown, and let the world sweep you off your feet!
It’s Your Turn, Link Up Your Newest Travel Inspiration!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.