The first definition for adventure by dictionary.com is an exciting or unusual experience; and, in the immortal words of the Sea Witch from Disney’s The Little Mermaid, “That’s what I live for!”
I was born into an adventurous family. My mother and her younger sister took off right after college in the late 1950s and camped throughout Europe (east and west) and even ventured into northern Africa. Two young women all alone.
We grew up traveling, camping, and going to the most out-of-the-way, obscure places we could find. We marveled at old ruins, clambered about castle walls, made friends with goatherds, rode camels, swam in lakes and ponds, and drove and camped everywhere we went.
So, what I do is in my blood! It’s not something I can give up. I can’t even fathom staying in one place more than a couple of years. I get the “itch”! The itch to jump in the car and go. It really doesn’t matter where, anywhere new.
It’s the “new”-ness, the getting lost, the uncomfortable feeling you get when you aren’t 100% in your familiar territory that’s addictive. I find when I’m in my normal work day routine that I can’t even remember all of it. Is it really time for my turn off…already? I don’t remember driving by the lake.
However, when I go somewhere new, the smells, the architecture, the feeling stays with me much longer. I am on full alert, trying to take in every detail both in brain and photo memory. I have to work hard at buying a coffee or ordering lunch. I am so concentrated on everything that I’m doing that I’m completely in that moment.
That adrenalin rush that comes with the adventure of getting out there is something that everyone should experience, and in my opinion, over and over and over again!
What do you think? Is adventure in your blood?
It’s Your Turn!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
And don’t forget to follow the awesome bloggers that host Weekend Travel Inspiration!